Cincinnati State can trace its origins to the Cincinnati Cooperative School of Technology (CCST), a two-year technical institute for high school graduates that was established by the Cincinnati Board of Education in 1966. The function of the school was to train technicians in a program combining college-level classroom instruction and cooperative work experience. This program operated in a portion of the facility at 3520 Central Parkway, which at the time was also the home to Courter Technical High School and former home to Central High School. In its first year, the college offered only four degree programs.
Academic Advisor -Health and Public Safety(Part-Time)
Academic Advisors are responsible for providing students with information about requirements and academic policies, connecting students with appropriate resources to clarify their interests, aptitudes and goals, transitioning students from academic foundation courses to their program courses, monitoring academic performance and intervening with students during academic difficulty. In addition, Academic Advisors assist with and support College recruitment, enrollment, and program events.
- Collaborates with administrators, faculty and staff to provide assistance to an ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student population.
- Within his/her assigned Division, the Academic Advisor provides information and advising of academic requirements, programs and services to prospective, incoming and current students.
- Provides advice in keeping with the students' interests, values, abilities and program major.
- Monitors the academic progress of students toward degrees, certifications, and/or educational goals to identify current and potential needs or problem areas (i.e. study skills, tutoring) and refers students to appropriate campus resources for assistance.
- Presents, participates, and/or facilitates various campus activities and events as well as attends and/or engages with various members of the campus community.
- Encourages students to engage in opportunities across campus relevant to their needs.
- Provides information about various support offices on campus (i.e. Student Activities, Disabilities Services, etc.) as well as makes appropriate referrals.
- Interprets and explains college policies and procedures.
- Participates in new student orientation advising sessions and presents academic information to new students and parents during these orientations.
- Provides updates to student files, databases, and records in accordance with federal guidelines (FERPA) and documents interactions with students, using systems as prescribed such as StarFish.
- Supports data collection and analysis.
- Assesses the development and personal growth of students in establishing realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated understanding of student development theory and the purpose and advantages of the technical and general education, academic transfer, experiential and cooperative education and workforce development programs in the community college environment.
- Strong organizational, technological, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and advising management software such as Starfish.
- The ability to work collaboratively within the divisional team of experts while maintaining the primary focus on student success.
- Ability to work occasional evening hours or Saturdays.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Two years college-level academic advising with ethnically, culturally, socially and economically diverse student populations.
Reports to: Assistant Director, Middletown Campus
Hourly Rate: $25.00/hr
Contractual Affiliation: Non-Bargaining
Status: Part-time, not to exceed 29 hours per week
Equal Opportunity Employer ~ Committed to Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Work Environment
Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, as well as its individual academic divisions, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all its activities and programs, including employment and promotion. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual-orientation, age, physical disabilities, veteran or marital status.Job Posted by ApplicantPro