Advanced Manufacturing Center, Metal Additive Engineer Grade 15VSC-UP PAT BARGAINING UNIT Exempt
The Metal Additive Engineer role will provide metal additive engineering-level services associated with industrial scale metal 3D printing. This experienced metal additive technology role will lead process definition, training, production, and operational safety for various metal additive technologies. The Vermont Manufacturing Collaborative (VT-MC) exists to provide advanced manufacturing outreach, education, training, and project support for manufacturers in Vermont, the region, and nationally. This team member will define and deliver metal additive capabilities for VT-MC. KEY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES Metal Additive Technology Owner
Industry Project Management
- Oversee the safe operation, documentation, and operational training for various metal additive technologies including DMLS and binder jetting.
- Define and implement a full metal additive workflow including design considerations, heat treatment, and post-processing to deliver high-quality products.
- Maintain processing and testing equipment to assure safe and reliable operations.
- Define and control production processes, including additive parameters and other manufacturing processes needed to produce quality prototype hardware.
- Support operational and production cost estimation through model development.
- Investigate and implement up-and-coming design, simulation, production, and post processing technologies.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all.
Leadership and Training
- Assist in the assessment of industry projects for scope of work, work-flow planning, and cost estimation.
- Design and digitize industry products as needed through CAD, generative design, and/or 3D scanning.
- Perform build, assembly, and testing for VT-MC industry projects.
- Supervise student employees in both the VT-MC facility and field locations.
- Coordinate and/or conduct student training on equipment, processes, and safety procedures.
- Manage project work teams to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Attend vendor training sessions and on-the-job-related continuing education.
- Work to establish the VT-MC as a leader in customer service and product quality.
- Operate as a curious learner and self-starter. Work under minimal supervision.
- Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned.
Direction is received by the Executive Director of the Vermont Manufacturing Collaborative. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Supervision of up to ten student workers. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum two years of experience producing high-quality industry-level metal additive parts, preferably using direct metal laser sintering and binder jet technologies. Experience with the EOS M100/M290 and ExOne 25 Pro is highly desired.
- A strong demonstrated knowledge of engineering practices obtained through an applicable engineering degree and/or applicable work experience.
- A demonstrated working knowledge of the full metal additive workflow including design, heat treatment, and post-processing.
- Demonstrated experience in defining, writing, and teaching standard operating procedures.
- Experience formally sharing technical knowledge and training, preferably with students, is highly desired.
- Exhibit strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship required.
This role will manage and run equipment in the VT-MC Advanced Manufacturing Center (AMC), working with AMC staff, student employees, and industry. VT-MC is designed as a teaching and industry support center, so this employee may be required to make visits to manufacturing facilities throughout Vermont. These environments can potentially be noisy, dirty, hot or cold, and could require climbing or heavy lifting. This general outline illustrates the type of work which characterizes the job classification. It is not an all-encompassing statement of the specific duties, responsibilities and qualifications of individual positions assigned to the classification.
VTSU values individual differences that can be engaged in the service of learning. Diverse experiences from people of varied backgrounds inform and enrich our community. VTSU strongly encourages applications from historically marginalized and underrepresented populations. VTSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer, in compliance with ADA requirements, and will make reasonable accommodations for the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant. Please contact Sarah Potter for assistance with accommodations at [email protected]
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled or by date specified. However, applications received after the initial screening will be considered at the discretion of the University. Vermont State University strongly encourages applications from members of ethnic minority groups and other under-represented backgrounds. NOTE:
This job is subject to a fingerprint-supported criminal background check. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of this check.
This job was posted on Thu Apr 06 2023 and expired on Tue Apr 11 2023.