Aurora Flight Sciences is an aeronautics research firm. It manufactures unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. The company is a subsidiary of Boeing, which mainly specializes in designing and constructing special-purpose aerial vehicles. Aurora Flight Sciences features piloted aircraft, unmanned aircraft systems, and aerostructure products to aircraft companies. The firm plans and develops aerospace vehicles for military and commercial applications. John S. Langford III founded Aurora Flight Sciences in 1989, and its headquarter is located in Manassas, Virginia, United States. The firm currently employs more than 800 employees and operates in more than 5 locations; Cambridge, Massachusetts, Bridgeport, West Virginia, and Mississippi. Aurora Flight Sciences provides paid vacations, healthcare benefits, and other perks to its employees.
Aircraft Cerification ManagerManassas, VirginiaAurora Company Overview:
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid-prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now, as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora's innovation is combined with Boeing's size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to shape the future of aerospace systems. Position Overview
We are seeking a dynamic and capable leader to serve as strategist, thought leader and driver of our certification efforts. This position will serve a vital function in defining and implementing approaches for certifying industry-changing systems using the combination of Aurora's innovation and agility with the great strength of Boeing's decades of history certifying passenger aircraft.
The position is expected to be located in our Manassas, VA, Headquarters and Operations facility but other options could be considered for especially qualified individuals. As a direct report to our Vice President for Flight Operations and Certification, you will work across the Aurora's and Boeing's functional and program organizations to define and implement effective strategies to certify new capabilities in the industry. This is a key position that will contribute very directly to the strategic planning for our future products and systems. Specific Responsibilities:
- Interact with certification organizations, Boeing and Aurora programs to integrate strategies and plans for certification.
- Lead and directly participate in the generation of key certification plans such as the PSCP, PSAC and PHAC.
- Support and occasionally lead the derivation of next-level requirements and tasks for the engineering, manufacturing, and quality-assurance organizations.
- Lead a cross-functional integrated team to ensure completion of certification activities in accordance with the PSCP, applicable regulations and policies.
- Act as a primary liaison with FAA or other regulatory bodies such as EASA.
- Candidates must be a U.S. Person: U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder.
- Bachelor's degree and approximately 10 years of related experience, including progressively responsible experience in certification of innovative aviation systems.Engineering or science degree preferred.
- Knowledge of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and aviation with 2 to 3 years in a senior leadership role preferred.
- Direct experience working with FAA certification authorities is essential.Experience with an initial type certification in accordance with 14 CFR Subchapter C is strongly desired.Experience with any of the following is a bonus: Use of Alternate Means of Compliance in a certification program, use of Model Based Systems Engineering in aircraft certification, applicability of 21.17(b), and certification in the context of special conditions.
- Experience with the application of industry standards such as RTCA and ASTM in aircraft certification.
- Experience with the application of a safety management system in aircraft design, manufacturing and certification.
- Experience working with other government customers is desired.
- Cognizant of ongoing rulemaking efforts and standards development in the US and around the world:ARCs, RTCA and other standards committees, JARUS, or others.
- Strong customer-service sensibility and orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive of and then execute a coordinated plan utilizing individuals from multiple organizations.
- Strong inter-personal skills; a team player.
- Disciplined and well-organized with proven leadership skills.
- Excellent communicator with strong oral, written and presentation skills.
25% Aurora Flight Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer