The National Women's Law Center battles for sex equity — in the courts, to promote harmony and justice in a community. They utilize the law in the entirety of its structures to change the culture and drive answers for the sex imbalance that shapes the general public and to separate the hindrances that hurt everyone , particularly the individuals who face various types of segregation, including working ladies, LGBTQ individuals, and low-income ladies and families. For over 45 years, they have been on the main edge of major lawful strategy triumph for ladies. The Center started in 1972 when secretaries at a public law office set four expectations: better compensation for ladies, more ladies staff lawyers, work on ladies' privileges, and no serving coffee. And they triumphed. Their human rights activists have vast experience in tackling complex issues, who are paid a nice salary package by the company.
The National Women xc2xa2??s Law Center seeks a talented and experienced Director of Individual Giving to serve as a key member of a team that is expanding networks of and deepening relationships with individual, corporate, law firm, and foundation donors for this leading women xc2xa2??s rights organization. Working in close partnership with the Center xc2xa2??s President and CEO, COO and Chief of Staff, Senior Vice President for External Affairs, Vice President for Development, and other senior staff, the Director of Individual Giving will develop and implement a strategic plan to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual, donors at all giving levels, and will personally manage relationships with 100+ prospects and donors capable of giving at least $10,000. Reporting directly to the Vice President for Development, the Director of Individual Giving will supervise the Manager of Special Events and the Database Manager. This is an exempt position. The Center xc2xa2??s growing individual giving program needs a dedicated staff person to lead and integrate these efforts, manage donor relationships in a more systematic and sustained way, and identify potential new supporters, resulting in improved donor retention rates, a broader base of donors, and significantly increased revenue in the years to come. ? xc2xa7Overview of NWLC National Women's Law Center: Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income xc2xa2?? and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation. ? xc2xa7Key Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, develop, and lead the execution of a comprehensive, integrated individual giving program, with a particular emphasis on major and planned gifts from individuals and the Center xc2xa2??s recently announced Legacy Fund;
- Craft a compelling case for support and meaningful opportunities for donors to invest in the Center xc2xa2??s mission and programmatic priorities;
- Coordinate with program and communications staff to seamlessly integrate offline and online messages, fundraising collateral, and donor engagement experiences;
- Directly manage a portfolio of individuals capable of gifts of $10,000 and over, including existing and prospective donors, securing renewals and increasing their support over time;
- Oversee all aspects of the Center xc2xa2??s annual awards dinner, one of the largest in D.C., in coordination with the Vice President for Development, Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations, and Manager of Special Events xc2xa2??including recruiting and engaging one or more corporate chairs, securing sponsorships from corporate and law firm donors in coordination with the Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations and leveraging the event for the individual giving program in partnership with the event xc2xa2??s host committee, integrating the event into the Center xc2xa2??s overall individual and corporate fundraising efforts, and supervising the development and execution of the event xc2xa2??s program and logistics;
- Oversee all aspects of the Center xc2xa2??s regional fundraising and cultivation events across the country, in coordination with the Vice President for Development, Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations, and Manager of Special Events xc2xa2?? including recruiting and engaging the host committees, integrating the events into the Center xc2xa2??s overall individual and corporate fundraising efforts, and supervising the development and execution of the events xc2xa2?? programs and logistics;
- Work closely with the Vice President for Development to coordinate with and appropriately leverage the contacts and involvement of the President and CEO, COO and Chief of Staff, Senior Vice President for External Affairs, program Vice Presidents, Board of Directors, Board Development and Strategy Committee, Leadership Advisory Committee, and other executive-level leaders, to engage with major individual prospects;
- Lead prospect research and the effective use of contact management systems and processes to oversee donor acknowledgements and to track pertinent donor and prospect information in Raiser xc2xa2??s Edge, including overseeing data entry for all individual, corporate, and law firm donor contacts, wealth screening and other research projects, and analytic reporting xc2xa2??coordinating with colleagues in Communications to integrate these efforts with online appeals and gifts received through Every Action;
- Lead and manage the individual and special events team within Development, and collaborate with the Vice President for Development, Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations, Senior Managers of Foundation Relations, and colleagues in Finance to develop and monitor the Center xc2xa2??s annual and longer-term revenue plan and the Development department xc2xa2??s annual budget.
? xc2xa7Key Relationships
- The Director of Individual Giving will report directly to the Vice President of Development. The Director will collaborate with the President and CEO, COO and Chief of Staff, the Senior Vice President for External Affairs, the Board of Directors, the Leadership Advisory Committee, and key program staff, as well as colleagues in Development and Communications. The Director will supervise the Manager of Special Events and the Database Manager, and oversee relevant projects delegated to the Development Assistant and Development Interns.
? xc2xa7The Ideal Candidate The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following attributes:
- Genuine passion for and understanding of the mission of the National Women xc2xa2??s Law Center and women xc2xa2??s rights issues;
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible development experience, including significant experience designing and implementing integrated individual giving programs, preferably at a major national advocacy organization;
- Proven track record in fostering professional relationships with high-net-worth individuals, managing a dynamic portfolio of donors and prospects and personally implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies that lead to successful major gift and planned gift closures;
- Superior oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write in compelling language about the Center xc2xa2??s work and to prepare complex proposals, reports and related materials;
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage diverse audiences and to build long-term relationships, including experience leveraging executive-level staff and volunteers to achieve fundraising success;
- Experience with fundraising galas or other high-profile special events, and with integrating these events into an organization xc2xa2??s overall donor relations and communications plans;
- Demonstrated success in leading, mentoring, and motivating a team of professionals;
- Working knowledge of Raiser xc2xa2??s Edge and prospect research tools required, with Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) credential and active involvement in philanthropic community a plus;
- Working knowledge of estate planning issues and experience coordinating external consultants and/or pro bono counsel a plus;
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to manage multi-faceted projects and perform well independently with grace under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment;
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information regarding the Center xc2xa2??s business and sensitive donor information; high degree of self-motivation, personal discipline and integrity;
- Collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment;
- Bachelor xc2xa2??s degree required; advanced degree preferred;
- Ability and willingness to travel;
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule when required.
? xc2xa7Compensation Compensation will be both competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate xc2xa2??s background and experience.