Do you enjoy leading teams and solving complex problems? Do issues of sustainability, health & wellness, equity, and ecology in the built environment give you a thrill? Join HKS’s DesignGreen Team as we create great, high-performing architecture. This is how we practice; with a genuine sensitivity to the challenges of the 21st century, to the communities we work within, and to the earth. Our work is integrated, it is holistic, it is good design and it is good business.
This full-time position requires someone with proven experience is leading sustainability efforts within a firm in the design and construction industry.
Dallas preferred, but open to other cities
• Passion for high-performance building design and sustainability along with an ambitious entrepreneurial drive.
• A personal enjoyment in advocacy and being a change agent
• Able to look at complex projects at various scales while advocating for creating holistic project and client value.
• Able to consult and manage multiple internal design teams on integrated, sustainable design. Interest in building a culture of excellence with a focus on Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) for the HKS enterprise
• Working familiarity and knowledge of swiftly moving sustainability topics within the global build environment. Examples include:
o Performance modeling for energy, daylight, ventilation …
o Human health & wellbeing
o Whole-building life-cycle analysis
o Integrative cost analysis – Hard cost, asset value, and human productivity …
o Healthy materials – transparency and optimization
o Embodied and operational carbon assessment
o Ecological design
• Experience in applying green building frameworks such as LEED, WELL, Living Buildings, and/or BREEAM required.
• Articulate and comfortable public speaker
• Able to effectively communicate with architects and clients in an inspiring and productive manner leading sustainability charrettes
• Ability to review professional publications/journals and identify areas of opportunity (innovation) and provide creative market transformation ideas, and/or innovative implementation strategies.
• Enjoys the tough problem and deploys collaborative creativity toward challenge resolutionResponsibilities:
- Work with HKS Chief Sustainability Officer to establish and manage annual Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) goals. Assist with annual Communication on Progress to the United Nations.
- Working with HKS Chief Sustainability Officer to develop and manage annual budget
- Prepare proposals and agreements for HKS internal and stand-alone external project services
- Manage team’s project workload to both revenue and enterprise goals
- Recruitment, interviews, hiring and management of DesignGreen staff
- Manage Central US and International project staffing and coordinate with Eastern and Western regional leaders for same
- Annual review of direct report staff
- Manage and coordinate with the Director of Integrated Energy Engineering. (Director of Integrated Energy Engineering leads a team of energy/performance analysts who report directly to that position.)
Sustainability Service Expansion
- Creatively engage with project teams as the sustainability expert. Activities will include:
- Project kick-off and sustainability charrettes
- Guiding projects toward successful certifications
- Research and guidance in specific technical and/or strategic design approaches
- Participate in the exploration, development and launching of new services that bringing additional value to clients and revenue to HKS. This responsibility is entrepreneurial and will be defined throughout the year with the collaboration of HKS Advisory Services and firm leadership
- Facilitate and help in the creation of internal training, education and knowledge sharing regarding sustainability and high-performance design
- Collaborate with HKS Enterprise Research, Design and Process leadership to promote integrative sustainable strategies and leverage complex data sets to support design decisions and research objectives.
- Lead and/or assist with specialized research activities
- Be an active professional voice for HKS in the industry
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, or sustainable design required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience.
- Professional licensure in architecture or engineering
- LEED and/or WELL accreditation with specialty. Additional accreditation welcome
- Familiarity with global ESG protocols is a plus
If you currently work for HKS, please submit your application via the Internal Careers Portal
HKS is an EEO/AA Employer: M/F/Disabled/Veteran