Dionex embodies passion for the science of chromatography, delivers power in the technologies behind our products, and productivity for the industries that shape the world. We pursue a strategy of diversity in our products, markets, and geographic locations, leveraging our technologies to ensure consistent progress. Our technological strength and leadership are rooted in our customer focus. Dionex was founded to help chemists automate and eliminate repetitive, time-consuming tasks. Solutions are at the heart of everything we do.
Job Title: Director, R&D, Bioprocess Equipment & Automation
Requisition ID: 97903BR
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Director, R&D, Bioprocess Equipment and Automation is part of the BioProduction Division, which is one of the fastest growing businesses in the company, supporting developers and manufacturers of biological-based therapeutics and vaccines. With our portfolio of best-in-class products that span the bioprocessing workflow from discovery through large-scale commercial production, our business is driving performance in bioprocessing through collaboration with our customers. This position will be located at our Santa Clara, CA site.
How will you make an impact?
Drive innovation and new product launches in support of the Bioprocess Equipment and Automation strategic business unit. Plans, organizes and directs a global team of engineers and technicians to ensure all projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with the organization s established policies and objectives. Oversees the design and development engineering activities for bioprocessing control systems (hardware and software), upstream and downstream bioprocess equipment, sensors, and automation systems utilized in the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry. Ensures delivery of the global hardware and software product roadmaps for the Bioprocess Equipment and Automation strategic business unit to deliver advanced digitalization and data flow Interacts with customers and commercial teams in support of existing and new product development products.
What will you do?
How will you get here? Eduction:
- Champion all activities related to hardware, software, and automation product development.
- Be an integral member of the Bioprocess Equipment and Automation management team and represent R&D in the annual STRAP, prioritization, and AOP processes for the business.
- Partner with other divisions and business units to drive technology collaborations.
- Partner with the BPD Innovation Forum and Corporate Innovation Council to develop and release next generation products and IP.
- Works closely with the business unit, division, and corporate marketing teams to develop hardware and software roadmaps; ensuring the hardware and software roadmaps remain competitive.
- Actively collaborates with the Market Development and Technical Services teams to understand customer requirements and translate those requirements into differentiated hardware and software products which meet development cost, product cost, time to market, and feature requirements.
- Works with customers and commercial teams on complex technical projects; in-person highly visible interactive engagement with customers is expected.
- Promotes a close, productive working relationship between hardware and software product development teams and members of the product marketing organization.
- Manages relationships with key collaborators and helps to ensure that their needs and suggestions are given due consideration in the development of our research and new product pipeline.
- Performs M&A Technology Assessments as needed.
- Responsible for the business unit IP; advocates the need to develop our own IP portfolio and actively supports the IP development processes.
- Process owner for the NPI process, ETO (customization) and product improvement processes. Ensures processes required for the design and development of regulated products are established and rigorously followed.
- Oversees global engineering team responsible for generating mechanical designs, printed circuit board designs, software engineering and software architecture, higher-order automation systems, bioprocessing sensors, prototyping, test plans, specifications, drawings, technical reports, and design control compliance.
- Operates with direct, matrixed and indirect internal R&D collaboration partners across Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Leads technical engagement with all key external collaboration partners, managing both the business and technical relationship
- Manages group metrics and trends; implementing proactive actions to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Performs administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, resolving internal issues, annual employee performance reviews, budgets, new hires, and mentoring.
BS/BA degree in engineering, physical sciences or chemistry required. Advanced degree in engineering preferred. Experience
- Minimum 7 years relevant experience in the design, development, and application of bioprocess equipment required.
- Preferred experience with higher level data systems in bioprocessing such as control systems, MES, ERP, historians, and advanced data analytics.
- Industry experience in BioProduction or Medical Device is preferred.
- Management and leadership skills with strong written and verbal communication skills and feels at ease communicating regularly with technical and business teams.
- Ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% (domestic and international)
- Demonstrates Thermo Fisher Scientific values Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.