From that first brick-and-mortar shop, Lakeshore has evolved into a leading developer and retailer of high-quality educational items for children from birth to sixth grade. It was established in 1954. It now has a flourishing e-commerce operation, a national sales division, catalogs, and 60 retail locations across the country, but it still considers itself to be '64 years young'—a company that continues to expand at a rapid pace. It credits this expansion to their team of more than 2,000 employees. Since 1988, Lakeshore has been creating cutting-edge goods. From first drawings and 3-D models to extensive research and classroom use, the creators bring Lakeshore products to life. It is providing career opportunities like Administrative Assistant, Events Coordinator, Retail Sales Associate, and more.
Lakeshore Learning Materials is one of the most innovative manufacturers of educational materials in the country. Specializing in top-quality products for the home and classroom, we are a thriving multichannel organization with a robust web business, multiple catalogs for early learning and elementary programs, over 60 store locations, plus a sales force that is second to none. Thanks to the daily contributions of the amazing people who make up our team, Lakeshore has experienced continuous growth since the day it was founded in 1954.
Take the Editorial helm as we expand our creative content and reach for new horizons.
As our Creative Division continues to expand and flourish, we’re searching for a talented and quality-driven Editorial Manager to oversee all of our Editorial functions—from creating digital and print marketing content to developing fun educational products for schools and homes. As Editorial Manager, you’ll oversee omnichannel initiatives that include writing, proofing, copyediting and fact-checking—enforcing the highest Editorial standards and a consistent brand voice across all content areas. In this leadership position, you will motivate, mentor and continuously develop the Editorial team to produce creative and exceptional work—while being supported by an accomplished Managing Editor and skilled Editorial Trafficker who will help process the department’s high-volume, fast-moving workload. Because you will work closely with creative partners from around the company—including marketing specialists, designers, video producers, product developers, project managers and company executives—a strong team mentality and a flair for collaboration are a must. The successful candidate will possess impeccable Editorial skills, a knack for copywriting and a proven track record of leading content direction. You will also have exceptional organizational abilities and a talent for strategizing and problem-solving in a continuously evolving environment.
A day in the office looks like this:
• Leading content strategists and working with inside partners to ensure creative content provides value to our target audiences and aligns to company goals
• Managing, inspiring and supporting a creative team of writers, editors and proofreaders
• Serving as guardian of the brand by implementing quality procedures, ensuring adherence to company style guides and fostering an environment of editorial excellence
• Using your digital-first mindset to identify new opportunities to proactively create, optimize and share content
• Ensuring content supports the brand’s image, voice and ideals
• Driving and contributing to a content production function that consistently delivers high-quality work in a timely manner
• Managing, guiding and reviewing material for diverse audiences from initial submission through final approval
Got the skills and experience? Here’s what we’re looking for:
• 5–10 years of experience in an Editorial management or managing editor role
• Strong Editorial background with demonstrated content leadership experience and a track record of success
• Copywriting expertise
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and superb attention to detail
• Outstanding interpersonal and team-building skills
• Strategic thinker with exceptional problem-solving skills
• In-depth knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Outlook
• Experience with InDesign helpful, but not required
• Familiarity with online work management systems, such as Workfront
• Ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced setting (extra points if you can actually juggle!)
And here’s our end of the bargain!
• Competitive compensation based on skills and experience
• Excellent medical/dental and vision coverage—EPO, PPO and HSA
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution (because you will retire someday)
• Flexible benefits—choose what you like, ignore the rest
• Exceptional training and support, and all the resources you need to be successful
• Super-awesome annual profit bonus plan
• On-site preschool for our employees’ children
• On-site employee gym for all levels/fitness needs
• Generous employee discount
• Casual dress…and we really mean it
At Lakeshore, we know we couldn’t do the extraordinary things we’re doing without the people on our team. Thanks to the passion and enthusiasm of this spectacular group, Lakeshore is more than a great place to work—it’s a great experience to be part of. Day in and day out, we give everything we’ve got to create products that instill a sense of wonder and foster a true love of learning. To help maintain this high bar for success, we’re constantly on the lookout for people to join us. So if you’re a down-to-earth professional who shares our desire for making a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
To learn more about Lakeshore, visit www.lakeshorelearning.com/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
People are selected to become members of the Lakeshore family based on skill, merit and mind-boggling talent—not based on race, color, creed, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, domestic partnership status, military status, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, alienage, AIDS or AIDS-related complex status, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status as a victim of domestic violence, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If things aren’t equal, we all lose.