Headquartered in San Diego, Petco is a venerable pet specialty retailer employing more than 25,000 partners and operating more than 1,500 locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. They also operate 80 smaller format neighborhood shops, as well as prescription and digital pet health advice services through PetCoach and petco.com. The company is very involved in charity work: it has invested more than $200 million through its own independent nonprofit organization (the Petco Foundation) in promoting animal welfare. In addition to this they work closely with thousands of local animal welfare groups, organizing in-store adoption events and helping animals find homes.
If youre both an animal lover and a people person, a position in one of our stores might be a great fit. Were looking for people with a strong commitment to helping pets and their parents experience their very best lives together. When you join us, youll be part of a great team, working together to achieve sales goals while doing work you truly love.
Provides optimal guest experience services. Assists guests in the proper selection of merchandise in accordance with their identified needs. Demonstrates a high level of interest in the welfare, health, and proper handling of all animals. Performs cashiering duties. Performs related duties in support of the store attaining its assigned sales goal. Ensures merchandise is properly stocked and priced. Adheres to established operational guidelines and store policies and procedures. Evaluates guest inquiries and as needed refers to Guest Experience Leader and/or Leader on Duty.
The incumbent must be able to consistently perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ensures the health and well-being of live animals by providing the correct care in accordance with the established Petco standards, policies and procedures including the completion of the hourly animal health check and wellness cards.
- Interacts professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with an emphasis on company interests.
- Provides prompt and courteous service to all Petco guests by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge to suggest the appropriate merchandise, and by effectively employing suggestive selling techniques to increase individual sales.
- Demonstrates knowledge in nutrition, Pals Rewards membership sign-up, Welcome to the Family and effective suggestive selling techniques to increase sales.
- Ensures an exceptional guest experience for all Omni-channel initiatives, to include but not limited to Instacart, Extended Aisle and Repeat Delivery.
- Performs all aspects of point-of-sale service, e.g. cash sales, credit and check sales, returns and exchanges. Performs the daily balance of cash drawer as necessary.
- Assists in stocking and facing merchandise according to established standards.
- Completes cash register transactions as well as guest carry-out service consisting of merchandise weighing up to but not exceeding 50 pounds per trip. Adheres to loss prevention policies.
- Assists in the loading, unloading and stocking of merchandise according to established procedures, in order to ensure that the store is well stocked and that inventory counts are accurate.
- Ensures that store animals, birds, reptiles and fish receive the highest quality care, maintained in habits that are clean, safe, and secure, and that all reasonable and required steps are taken to maintain their good health.
- Alerts store leaders immediately if any animal, reptile, bird or fish is in need of medical attention or other special care.
- Performs routine housekeeping tasks as required to maintain the professional image and appearance of the store, to include sweeping/mopping the floors, dusting, washing the windows, facing the merchandise on the shelves, restroom maintenance, etc.
- Assists store leadership in the opening/closing of the store as needed, to include the accurate completion of required paperwork.
- Participates in the completion of quarterly and annual physical inventory counts.
- Adheres to and promotes established safety procedures and maintenance of clean, safe and healthy environment for store partners, guests and animals.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although merchandise receiving, merchandise carry-outs, or stock balancing will require leaving the store briefly. This position requires bending, kneeling, moving merchandise and standing for long periods of time. Must be able to lift 50 lbs and pull 2000 lbs utilizing material handling equipment. Improper use of safety equipment and/or not following proper lifting techniques may pose of risk of injury to customers, pets, and store personnel. Follow all safety precautions and procedures.
Education and Experience
Minimum high school diploma (its equivalency i.e. GED) or the equivalent work experience. A qualified applicant will be required to demonstrate proficiency in the areas of mathematics, and above average communication