Job Corps mission is to assist eligible youth to connect to the labor force by providing comprehensive and integrated academic, career technical, workforce preparation and independent living skills and support services leading to: Successful careers in in-demand industry sectors or occupations or the Armed Services that will result in economic self-sufficiency and opportunities for advancement; Enrollment in postsecondary education, including an apprenticeship program leading to long-term attachment to the labor force; and Responsible citizenship.
Summary of Duties:
Provides assistance to the Human Resources department and ensures that the department is in compliance with all DOL, Corporate and Center requirements.
Description of Duties:
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Performs human resources related tasks: Maintains confidentiality. Ensures files are secured and locked at all times. Processes leave request forms. Prepares new hire packets, including benefits packets. Coordinates new hire orientation. Trains new hires on electronic time sheet. Processes HR paperwork to include garnishments, FMLA, benefits, workers compensation, etc. Prepares the 2110S. Helps with the recruiting process. Ensures managers receive a sufficient number of qualified applicants for open positions. Processes payroll as necessary. Sets-up interview schedules. Ensures the Center operates at a less than five percent vacancy rate.
- Functions as a liaison between department and students, other departments, visitors: Handles incoming e-mails, calls, voicemail messages, mail, and prepares information for efficient distribution and action as necessary. Greets visitors and answers phones. Schedules appointments and interviews. Provides necessary information to department and manager to ensure timely response by either. Keeps updates on Job Corps notices and ensures department responds as necessary. Reinforces proper grievance policy with walk-in employee relations requests.
- Completes copying, typing and filing as requested and needed: Produces clear copies of requested materials. Proofreads documents prior to returning to originator. Prepares weekly reports and other required DOL, Corporate and Center reports. Types SOPs, plans, meeting minutes, agenda memos, reports, correspondence, newsletters and any other item as directed. Pays attention to detail, ensuring that documents distributed from your department are well written, comprehensive, error-free, and of a high quality. Researches special topics and projects to increase awareness and resource capacity. Maintains department files to include SOPs, weekly reports, weekly summation reports, and Cost Point reports.
- Performs other duties as requested by department manager/director: Schedules and attends office meetings, sends out required reports, runs office errands, attends training, works in lieu of other secretaries and clerks on an as-needed basis, helps distribute student pay, assists with special printed projects, acts proactively, completes tasks in a timely and proficient manner, tracks and follows through on action items, exercises good judgment and problem-solving skills on managers behalf, and other comparable duties. Serves as lead training coordinator for enrollment. Develops rosters and negotiates logistics for monthly New Hire Training and quarterly all-Center training.
- Enters information into the electronic databases and keeps necessary files and records: Enters information into electronic databases as required. Maintains accurate hard and electronic copy files as necessary to ensure department meets DOL, Corporate and Center expectations. Runs electronic data base reports to ensure information entered is accurate.
- Monitors budget, controls inventory and ensures the department areas are attractive, clean safe and in good repair: Completes PRs and check requests to include budget management. Ensures that POs are received and filed initially, and that the items requested are received in a timely manner. Ensures that all equipment assigned to the department is properly accounted for and maintained in good condition. Initiates work orders and ensure that repairs are completed in a timely manner. Ensures that work area, including managers area and other assigned areas, are attractive, clean and safe at all times.
- Supports the CDSS initiatives: Develops and implements a productive Work-based Learning program to include the development of students employability and social skills. Explores innovative ways to incorporate human resources into the students academic, CTT and leisure time learning. Must be responsive to students conduct, abilities, and needs.
Education and Experience
Associates Degree and one year of related experience. Bachelors Degree and/or PHR preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
Valid state drivers license;
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen, sit, stand, and walk; to reach with hands, arms, as well as use hands to finger, handle or feel, to taste and smell. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision capabilities required by this job include; close, distance and peripheral vision.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of what employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level can vary from moderate to loud.
Job Location Montgomery, Alabama, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular