DC Scholars Public Charter School is seeking a passionate and hardworking Literacy Intervention Specialist with a record of exceptional student achievement and growth. This leader must maintain an unwavering believe that all students can achieve and display a passion for supporting students with diverse learning needs.
The Literacy Intervention Specialist will be responsible for supporting teachers with the execution of our literacy intervention program, Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI); holding teachers accountable to strong execution of interventions; and providing direct, small group intervention to students as well.this leader will work closely with both the Elementary School Director and Director of ELA to ensure that the literacy program provides all children with the skills and knowledge needed to succeed. Additionally, This leader will provide cohort coaching, development and feedback to our Associate Teachers aligned with school-wide development priorities.
Provide Direct Literacy Coaching and Support to Associate Teachers
- Lead individual and group coaching support specific to literacy and literacy intervention;
- Utilize a toolkit of coaching strategies that includes model lessons, observation and feedback, co-planning and co-teaching, peer observation, and active coaching; and
- Co-observe classrooms with various leadership team members and align on real time coaching feedback and next steps.
- Co-plan school literacy professional development with SWLT
Support Curriculum Implementation and Facilitate Interventions
- Work with ELA instructional coach to plan or co-plan literacy intervention PDs or weekly intervention coaching sessions based on observations;
- Ensure that all meetings are data driven and follow the continuous improvement cycle;
- Support the Direct of ELA and ELA Instructional Coach with strong implementation of the LLI program and ensure that teachers are appropriately planning for interventions;
- Support alignment of processes/protocols for tier 1 and tier 2 curriculum/intervention meetings across grades K-2; and
- Provide direct literacy intervention for K-8th grade as needed.
Collaborate with members of the Academic Leadership Team to align instruction, culture, and people leadership across grades and content areas
- Engage in leadership team meetings, classroom learning walks, data analysis and action planning, and annual strategic planning on an as needed basis
- Inform on elementary school-level decisions that impact the literacy program
- Help plan school-wide professional development days
- Participate in-person interviews and inform elementary hiring decisions
- Build trusting relationships with students, staff, and families
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- At least five years of successful experience as a classroom teacher, preferably in various grades K-8, valid teaching license desired
- Experience working with adult learners including developing and delivering professional development, data-driven coaching, and ability to model exemplary instructional and classroom culture practices
- Deep content knowledge and understanding of common core literacy standards and best practices
- Experience implementing Expeditionary Learning (formally EngageNY) curriculum or Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) for grades 3-8, strongly preferred
- Certified TNTP Observer, preferred
- PK-8 academic content knowledge;
- Multicultural competence and the ability to lead and build culture through a lens of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated track record of building, managing, and retaining a high-performing team and coaching through layers;
- Superior relationship management skills and the ability to build relationships, motivate, and engage a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to create effective communication systems.
- Passion for educational equity and a commitment to the mission and vision of DC Scholars;
- Strong alignment with DC Scholars’ Core Values: High Bar, Passion & Persistence, Hope, Humility & Growth, and Trust;
- Collaborative leadership style;
- High standards of excellence for self and for others;
- Evidence of well-developed emotional intelligence and empathy.
DC Scholars encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer fully committed to hiring a talented and diverse group of individuals. DC Scholars does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.