The Human Resources Office at Chemeketa Community College seeks a positive, reliable, engaged, and customer-service oriented team member to join our team for a limited duration opportunity.
The Human Resources Technician serves as the opener and closer of the Human Resources office. This position also serves as the first point of contract for technical assistance related to all Human Resources services with a focus in the assigned areas of responsibility: recruitment, hiring, on-boarding. This position is responsible for maintaining current technical knowledge of assigned areas of responsibility in order to provide effective and efficient service to the college and community. The Human Resources Technician is the liaison between Human Resources, College departments, and applicants, and is expected to greet customers with a friendly, helpful attitude, follow through on requests, and provide efficient, accurate, and reliable service.
Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* Serves as the first point of contact as the receptionist for the Human Resources Department; referring customers, job applicants, and employees to appropriate department or campus resources; provides job information to callers; receives inquires (telephone, e-mail, and in-person) and directs to appropriate destination; takes accurate messages and provides general guidance regarding departmental information, policies, and procedures
* Maintains confidentiality at all times
* Works effectively within a cohesive team environment to proactively share knowledge; maintains positive working relationships with staff and customers, and works collaboratively to support team members in delivering excellent customer service and meeting department objectives.
* Responds to inquiries and applies internal policies, procedures and guidelines when recommending actions; including applicable rules and regulations pertaining to Federal, State, and Local laws.
Recruitment and Hiring Support
* Accurately processes employment applications and coordinates interview and testing schedules; gathers information for screening committees and prepares committee files; proctors applicant testing; informs applicants of travel reimbursement policies, collects travel reimbursement form and supporting documentation; inputs travel reimbursement information into Excel data tracker.
* Processes new hire paperwork: Form I-9, W-4, EEO/AA, Section 503, according to prescribed procedures to ensure compliance
* Schedules physicals as directed; coordinates appointments and position information with applicant and occupational medicine
* Provides feedback for process improvement as it relates to applicant support, including, but not limited to: applicant tracking system updates; changes to recruitment processes; travel reimbursement process; new hire/on-boarding process; assists with documentation of processes, training resources and how-to-guides
* Provides technical assistance to campus community regarding applicant tracking system and Payroll Authorization (PA) process, in the absence of the Human Resources Generalist
* Provides backup for coordination of Skype interviews and may serve as the Skype technical expert for committees
* May assist with updates to dashboard and public website.
* Logs documents received into electronic tracker, including background checks and transcripts.
* Responsible for entering new employees for access to SkillSoft system and assisting with questions about logging into the system.
* May assist in gathering data for reporting purposes including recruitment data for annual affirmative action report.
* Embraces diversity and actively collaborates effectively with a variety of students, staff and the public from diverse cultural, social, economic and educational backgrounds
* Participates in recruitment and retention of students at an individual and institutional level in promotion of student success
* Embraces, understands and uses appropriate technology tools to accomplish job functions
* Provides high quality, effective service to internal and external customers through continuous improvement and adoption of lean office practices
A High School Diploma/GED
Two years secretarial, reception, or customer service experience with high public contact
Skills in: customer service, proper phone etiquette; prioritizing job assignments, adjusting to shifting priorities and handling constant interruptions, demonstrated interpersonal skills especially as applied to interactions with diverse populations of staff, students, and the public.
* Associates degree or higher from an accredited institution (to receive preference, transcripts must be submitted at the time of application)
* Three or more years of secretarial, reception, or customer service experience with high public contact.
* Experience working in a Human Resources Department
* Experience working in a higher education environment
* Bilingual (English/Spanish)
When applying for this posting, you will be required to attach one or more of the following electronic documents:
* Cover letter
* Optional - Unofficial Transcript - An electronic copy of your academic transcript(s) from an accredited institution must be attached with your application. The transcript must demonstrate the minimum educational requirement for the position. If you have academic credentials from non-U.S. institutions, you will need to include an evaluation of your credentials
Required documents must be provided at the time of application. Please remove your social security number from all your documents, including transcripts. Documents containing protected information will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Chemeketa makes employment decisions based solely on the candidate's demonstrated competencies as related to successful performance in the position.
Terms of Employment:
* This is a full-time, classified assignment at the B1 band and grade of the classified salary schedule
* This is a limited duration assignment based on the status of incumbent
* Upon hire, must pass a security inquiry which may include criminal history; only information relevant to the position will be considered
* Requires flexible work schedule to meet program needs, which may include evenings and/or weekends
* Requires the provision of official transcripts upon hire
Successful applicants for designated positions must successfully pass a background inquiry, which may include criminal, driving, credit and full background checks. Only information relevant to the position will be considered. An individual with negative information on their background inquiry will not necessarily be denied employment. Providing false information will result in rejection of an application, employment offer or dismissal
Applicants are eligible to use Veterans' Preference when applying with Chemeketa Community College in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230 and 408.235; and OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015. Preference will be given only if the applicant meets the minimum criteria of the position and electronically attach the required documentation at the time of application.
* MEMBER COPY 4 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) -OR- Letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension
* Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veterans disability preference letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs. You can request copies of your military service record through the National Archives website at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
For information regarding Veterans' Preference qualifications, visit the following website:
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary requirements are met.