FirstService Residential is a provider of residential property management services. It oversees more than 7,000 residential and commercial associations across 21 US states and three Canadian provinces. It provides a wide variety of essential property services, from concierge through maintenance to security and more.The managed communities include condominiums and cooperatives, single-family homes, and rental and commercial properties. Career areas with the company include community services, community management, and corporate. Working for FirstService Residential, you will find opportunities for moving up the ladder, or across the continent. As a full-time associate, you will be offered a variety of benefits and perks to promote the wellbeing of you and your family.
Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager is responsible for designing, implementing, and driving our safety program initiatives across the West region. We are continuously evolving our culture through an inclusive approach to health and safety with the intent to reduce the probability and severity of work related injuries and illnesses, while ensuring compliance and adding value to the overall operation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager will be responsible for the implementation and adherence of all aspects of our Injury and Illness Prevention Plan (Occupational Safety/Health Program) for the sites in the region.
- Analyze accident information, identify trends and key problem areas, and communicate to site leadership.
- Anticipate, identify, and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices and respond and aid in all emergency situations.
- Participate in development and implementation of hazard control method and safety procedures.
- Conduct inspections of facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Partner with local leaders, engineers, and Safety Committee to develop action plans to reduce workplace injuries and incidents, and promote employee engagement in health and safety programs.
- Partner with Management, as well as Operations and HR, to ensure all new hires receive safety orientation, and manage annual training requirements for existing employees.
- Partnering with the leadership team and line supervision to ensure EH&S regulatory compliance with Federal, State and Local regulations and adherence to FirstService procedures and Safety Standard Practices.
- Ensure all required safety records, such as the OSHA 300 logs, are accurately maintained in accordance with the law.
- Identify innovative ways to grow and maintain a strong safety culture and revamp employee safety training programs as necessary.
- Partner with leaders and the safety committees to leverage safety and environmental best practices into overall standards.
- Partner with our Worker's Compensation external partner regarding reported injuries and trends, leverage resources, and use information to make any necessary adjustments in strategy.
- Other related duties as assigned or required.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential Global Service Standards.
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
- Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
- May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
- Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
- Understand and facilitate workers' compensation claims and cost associated with injured workers. Partner with our HR teams to find timely, cost effective ways to bring associates back to work while keeping the extent of injury in perspective.
- Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Engineering, or related field, preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in Occupational Health and Safety or related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements that govern worker health and safety; physical assessment and ergonomic skills; case management skills.
- Knowledge of local, state or federal environmental, health and safety regulations; how to access resources (e.g., regulatory agencies, consulting firms, web-based information); and evaluate resources as applicable to facilities within Company.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate training and work in a team environment to achieve results.
- Familiarity with approaches for managing workers' compensation claims.
- Ability to handle multiple projects, set priorities, strong organizational and time management skills.
- Work hours will be flexible to support multiple buildings with multiple shifts with dynamic changing business needs.
- Strong analytical skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to work and communicate with all levels of the organization; experience in a multi-shift, multi-site operation a plus.
- Strong strategic skill needed to develop an internal communications strategy around safety, working with Executives, members of the human resources team and departmental managers with the objective of creating an understanding of the company's safety goals.
- Must have excellent proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Proficiency researching the Internet.
- Work with Legal concerning permit applications, compliance queries and responses to OSHA, EPA & other regulatory bodies.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently and be self-driven.
- Critical thinking, problem solving, judgment and decision making ability.
- Ensure programs meet all Federal, State, country and local regulatory & licensing requirements and policy requirements, and includes assessed site Environmental, health, and safety risks and management of compliance calendars and actions
- During times of serious incident, serve as a site member of the crisis management team by directing efforts when requested, offering recommendations, interpreting regulations and completing communication, including government regulators or agencies.
- Technical Communication to Non-Technical Audience: Ability to break down or modify complex technical information as needed to communicate it orally or in writing to non-technical Company staff (e.g., senior managers, customers or consumers).
Tools & Equipment Used
Computer and peripherals, standard and customized software applications and tools, and usual office equipment.
Physical Requirements / Working Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works under usual office conditions. The employee is required to work at a personal computer as well as be on the phone for extended periods of time. Must be able to stand, sit, walk and occasionally climb. The incumbent must be able to work extended and flexible hours and weekends as needed. Physical demands include ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hours over and above normal office hours will occur, including evenings, holidays, and some weekends. Schedule is subject to change based on business needs.
Travel to locations across the region.
FirstService Residential is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.