In this role you will be responsible for creating, implementing and maintaining the overall legal strategy for the GE Capital Energy Financial Services business segment, directly & through management/supervision of in-house legal resources and outside counsel. This individual will oversee deal structuring support, environmental , litigation and bankruptcy supervision, corporate entity structure, workout & recovery policy and practice, and legal regulatory support.
- Operate as an integral member of the legal leadership team and responsible for setting overall legal strategy and direction for the Energy Financial Services segment. Work with assigned business leadership to evaluate legal risks and develop procedures to mitigate such risks
- Advise Commercial Leadership on a wide variety of legal issues related to operations and Commercial Transactions
- Lead and supervise a team of attorneys, paralegal(s) and administrative staff responsible for structuring, negotiating, documenting commercial transactions or supporting such activities. Develop legal talent proactively
- Collaborate with commercial teams and assist in both market and product development to support business objectives
- Participate in business / deal reviews and deal approval meetings – maintain independence in counsel while supporting the commercial team in meeting their business objectives
- Advise business on related regulatory issues and compliance matters
- Prepare and deliver updates on legal developments and requirements to various audiences and provide ongoing advice on applicable laws and regulations governing commercial activities
- Manage overall legal budget including all outside counsel spend
- Develop and maintain commercial policies and procedures and monitor to ensure compliance
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of relevant industries in order to contribute to the commercial objectives of the business from a legal standpoint and help unite to differentiate itself from the competition.
- Juris Doctorate degree and a member of a recognized US Bar
- 15+ years of experience in relevant commercial transaction area(s) and general corporate law based on experience at a large law firm, financial firm or corporate legal department
- Must be a member in good standing of one or more state bars or the D.C. bar and where required, in house counsel registration or admission to the local state bar or local country equivalent
- Experience with complex structured finance / leveraged lending transactions
- Experience managing multiple transactions from a large and diverse client base
- Experience negotiating complex legal terms with external clients
- Experience setting legal organizational strategy
- Experience managing professional legal commercial teams
- Previous experience in the energy spectrum, including thermal and renewable power generation, storage, and transmission, as well as all capital and funding structures (debt, leases, structured, and common)
- Agile learner – proven ability to develop expertise quickly
- Highly effective leader who can create a shared vision, energize / motivate others to accomplish objectives
- Experience maintaining high morale, high performing team
- Change agent that can challenge the status quo and drive change within organization
- High level of influencing skills combined with an ability to build excellent working relationships (cross-functionally, globally and externally)
- Proven ability to lead and execute effectively at all levels of the organization
- Experience providing legal advice in a highly regulated environment
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com A strategic GE Capital business, GE Energy Financial Services is a global energy investor with 35+ years managing
assets through multiple energy cycles. Drawing on its technical know-how, financial strength and strong risk management, GE Energy Financial Services invests in and provide capital solutions for long-lived and capital-intensive
projects and companies that help meet the world’s energy needs. It is headquartered in Connecticut with regional
hubs in London, Houston, Hong Kong and Nairobi. For more information, visit www.geenergyfinancialservices.com
and follow us on Twitter @GEEnergyFinServGE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Job number: 3326785
Date posted : 2019-09-12
Employment type: Experienced