The organization was formed in 1980 with the goal of providing pediatric care to the surrounding area. Phoenix Children's is among the largest pediatric health systems in the country. It includes the Phoenix Children's Hospital (Main Campus), the Phoenix Children's Hospital (East Valley)at Dignity Health Mercy Gilbert Health Center, four pediatric specialty as well as urgent care centers, 11 neighborhood pediatric practices, 20 outpatient clinics, two surgery centers, and six community outpatient clinics located throughout Arizona. Phoenix Children's Care Network has over 850 pediatric primary treatment doctors and specialists that provide care in over 75 subspecialties. The health care facility strives to provide children and families with hope, healing, and the finest treatment possible.
Medical Assistant - PRN- AAMA or RMA
Department: AV Amb Urgent Care
Category: Patient Care Svcs(Tech & Asst)
Posting #: 494696
Date Posted: 1/13/2020
Employee Type: PRN
This position will be a support position filling in as needed. The hours needed are from 5:00 P.M. -11:00 P.M. M-F and also every 2nd or 3rd weekend. You can be assigned 6-hour shifts during the week and 12-hour shifts during the weekend.
Flexibility is needed.
Location: 1665 North Avondale Blvd, Avondale, AZ
AAMA or RMA certification is required for this position.
The Medical Assistant - Certified works under the direction of a licensed health care professional and performs various clinical and administrative tasks for the assigned area. The Certified Medical Assistant is expected to carry out the mission, vision, and values of Phoenix Children’s Hospital. A continuous exhibition of professionalism, strong ethical conduct, and integrity must be carried out at all times. Interdepartmental collaboration, high standards of work performance, keeping a positive attitude and adhering to the policies and procedures of Phoenix Children’s Hospital is essential. This position requires current and continuous certification from the American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA) or American Medical Technologists (RMA) in the field of Medical Assisting.
- Family-Centered care that focuses on the need of the child first and values the family as an important member of the care team
- Excellence in clinical care, service and communication
- Collaborative within our institution and with others who share our mission and goals
- Leadership that set the standard for pediatric health care today and innovations of the future
- Accountability to our patients, community and each other for providing the best in the most cost-effective way.
Consistent with Medical Assistant education and under the direction of a licensed health care professional, the Certified Medical Assistant performs the following clinical responsibilities including but not limited to:
- a)Measures and records vital signs, growth parameters, medical histories, and signs and symptoms into the electronic health record
- b)Communicates patient related information to the licensed health care provider
- c)Performs electrocardiograms, pulmonary function tests, and other diagnostic testing within the Medical Assisting scope.
- d)Collects laboratory specimens (including blood specimens)
- e)Performs point of care testing
- f)Prepares and administers medications with provider authorization and adheres to all regulations, guidelines, and policies for appropriate storage, mixing, disposal, inventory and labeling of medications
- g)Performs routine screening tests
- h)Assists the provider with exams
- i)Removes sutures, changes dressings, applies bandages and other first aid procedures
- j)Prepares and instructs patients about examinations, diagnostic tests, medications, special diets, and health maintenance
- k)Disposes of bio-hazardous materials in accordance with OSHA safety standards and hospital policies
- l)Demonstrates infection control standards related to hand washing and standard precautions including ensuring that all equipment in exam room is cleaned according to hospital policies
- m)Follows PCH and OSHA safety rules and procedures at all times
- n)Upholds HIPAA regulations
Administrative responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- a)Communicates prescriptions to pharmacies
- b)Processes medication refills as directed by a provider and according to hospital policies
- c)Obtains prior authorizations for medication
- d)Obtains prior authorizations for DME
- e)Screens telephone calls and takes accurate clinical messages within the Medical Assisting scope of practice as well as in accordance with PCH policies
- f)Returns patient calls with provider directed instructions
- g)Assists patients and providers in completing documentation and any other paperwork in which a provider is required to disclose and/or attest to
- h)Utilizes medication reconciliation tools within EHR.
- i)Cleans and restocks exam rooms
- j)In some clinics, may serve as an eligible witness to cycle counting and wasting of controlled substances
- k)Follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct
Remains up to date with certifications, company mandated training and professional development.
May be required to float to other practices as needed by hospital and/or as requested by management.
Performs miscellaneous job related duties as requested.