Medical Records Coordinator
Midwest Orthopaedic Consultants has earned a reputation for supplying timely and high quality medical services. Our patients come first, and our employees play an important role in providing services and maintaining our reputation. We offer 401k, health, dental, vision, and other great benefits. Wehelpsubsidize membership feesfor Lifetime Fitness! We are proud of our teamwork and friendly driven atmosphere to provide patient success.
Day in the Life
The Medical Records Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of the medical record process including but not limited to: confidentiality; appropriate release of protected health information; accurate and timely retrieval, preparation, scanning, indexing, and analysis of medical records to ensure compliance with HIPAA, JCAHO standards and medical staff by-laws and rules and regulations. The basic functions of the Medical Records Coordinator is to prepare, scan, index and potentially analyze medical records to assure compliance with JCAHO standards and medical staff by-laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes urgent requests for medical records according to hospital policies and procedures and consistent with HIPAA regulations
- Generates post-discharge reports to be utilized for medical record pick up and tracking.
- Reports Master Patient Index errors to Medical Records Supervisor.
- Files miscellaneous medical records according to the specified chart order.
- Creates and organizes paper medical record folders and documents.
- Retrieves hard copy medical records.
- Files medical records in specified order.
- Answers the telephone and responds to inquiries or routes inquiries to the appropriate person.
- Responds to chart requests from CCOC requestors
- Checks in/out medical records in the Chart Tracking system.
- Meets department/hospital guidelines for appropriate turnaround time of record processing.
- Performs analysis of medical record charts to assure all documents have correct patient labels, medical record numbers, visit numbers, and visit dates.
- Assists Supervisor with training and orientation of new personnel.
- Participates in departmental meetings and in-service education.
- Communicates with appropriate hospital departments or external vendors for equipment maintenance as needed.
- Performs other HIM job related functions for coverage.
- Prepares charts for internal and external audits.
- Assists various departments with questions and documentation needs.
- Adheres to policies and procedures contained in the CCOC Employee Manual
- Follows HIPAA, JCAHO, and Compliance Plan regulations
- Assists supervisor with outpatient bill select error reports
- Retrieves discharged records from all units (inpatient, outpatient surgical and outpatient clinic) on a daily basis and verifies against daily discharge roster
- Tracks all discharges, communicating quality issues pertaining to information displayed within the Master Patient Index for correction
- Retrieves hard copy medical records or verifies availability of scanned medical records for review
- Scanning paper charts into the EHR for upcoming appointment
- Scanning loose documents into the HER
- Answer phone calls and EHR messages
- Clinical review of chart for upcoming appointments
- Management of Diagnostic orders : verifying patient did complete testing, results are in the patients chart and have been reviewed by the provider
- Other duties as assigned related to the position for the Practice needs
- Has excellent filing skills; terminal digit filing experience is preferred.
- Has intermediate computer skills and the ability to operate business office equipment
- Is an independent thinker and problem solver.
- Must be organized and detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment.
- Interact appropriately with co-workers and create a supportive and team focused environment.
- Utilize and manipulate multiple software systems and applications.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- high school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in medical records a plus but not necessary
- Experience with electronic health record system. (Exscribe system a plus)
- Experience with Allscripts PM (not necessary but a plus)
Midwest Orthopaedic Consultants is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, Veteran status, disability or national origin.