Realtor.com is a leader in online real estate and backed by the News Corp brand. Realtor.com’s vision is to be the leading destination to discover and create your perfect home. Today more than 70 million unique users visit our company’s website and mobile apps monthly. What you can do at Realtor.com has the potential to touch the lives of millions of people.. If you enjoy working in a fast paced and dynamic environment and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the business, then make the move today!
You will be principal engineer for the team that is responsible for developing several key consumer platform components and products for the company. To improve development agility, scalability, and stability, we are starting a multi-year journey to overhaul the design of several systems that will be built on a new development and deployment infrastructure. You will be the key architect for this transformation as well as large scale product initiatives that have a high impact on growing our revenue, and helping us ensure that this effort is a success.
Job Duties And Responsibilities
- Own system level architecture and software design for products spanning multiple engineering teams. Help define system components, entities and service interfaces, with consideration for complexity, availability, security, performance, cost, and other criteria.
- Help make right technology choices for implementing solutions. Conduct alternative analysis for technology selection or build v/s buy decisions and present to stakeholders.
- Work with product managers and tech leaders early on to shape product definition so that it can be built in flexible, extensible, and robust way. Work with engineering teams to help drive execution, providing consultation on design details and issues.
- Define and drive adoption of design patterns, coding and quality standards and software development processes.
- Help improve software quality and data quality by coming up with better ways of measuring and testing.
- Own and drive long-term architecture vision. Drive and support innovation by acting as a sounding board for ideas and help bring them to life. Actively engage in tracking and reducing technical debt.
- Share ideas, insights, and technology trends to the broader technical audience within the company. Provide coaching and mentoring to technical staff.
- Play a key role in hiring, retention, and growth of talent: attract, evaluate, coach and mentor senior engineers.
Job Requirements (Education, Skills, And Experience)
- BS in computer science, MS in computer science preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience as an architect/engineer designing and building complex and scalable software systems
- 3+ years of React development and Architecture
- 3+ years of GraphQL experience
- Solid understanding of design approaches and challenges across all layers of the stack including Front-end, data storage, back-end, middleware, and application tiers. Strong background in designing client-side and server-side architecture for scale, availability, performance, security, and agility
- Broad understanding of competing technologies and their relative strengths and weaknesses; and be able to select the right ones for our needs
- Passion and ability to quickly pick up expertise on new technologies
- Hands-on engineering skills to evaluate diverse technologies, build prototypes, and solve challenging issues, working with other architects and engineers
- Experience in designing cloud applications leveraging AWS services is highly desired
- Should have strong leadership and interpersonal skills to take team along and convert architecture vision into reality.
- Should have strong communication skills to articulate vision/strategy and get buy-in, using language and detail appropriate for the audience
- Ability to adjust to change and rapid pace of development
- Ability to see the big picture and keep an eye on long-term goals and direction, while taking care of short-term needs