Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community locally and globally. Collaboration among our institutions and health care professionals is central to our efforts to advance our mission.
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
Manager, Radiation Therapy has oversight responsibilities for designated RTT Team Leads and the respective RT staff within the satellite locations, Newton Wellesley Hospital and Emerson Hospital, in the Department of Radiation Oncology. Seen as the technical and clinical expert on the patient treatment units and simulators, incumbent is accountable to the Senior Director of Radiation Therapy on matters pertaining to patient care, treatment delivery, patient scheduling, technical expertise, and RT staff management. Approximately 80% of work will be performed at satellite locations and 20% on the main campus, with flexibility to travel between sites as needed to meet departmental needs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
* Serves as a procedural and technical expert, including performing Team Lead functions
* Supervises and provides daily support to Team Leads
* Maintains a high level of proficiency in all treatment and imaging applications
* Stays up to date on main campus treatment and simulation policies and procedures, and as such, serves as the RTT liaison between satellites and main campus to ensure standardization of policies, as well as consistency of procedures when possible
* Serves a key resource during the implementation of new devices, equipment and procedures by working collaboratively with all applicable role groups and vendors
* Monitors and instructs staff on use of new or existing equipment or systems
* Works with Team Leads to oversee the training of novice therapists and new staff members
* Works with Team Leads to monitor skill level of therapists on an ongoing basis and works 1:1 with therapists as needed
* Functions as a Radiation Therapist to provide coverage as needed
* Models exemplary behavior in clinical practice for staff and students
* Personally upholds all hospital and department policies and procedures and ensures staff follows them
* Supervises Team Leads, Staff Radiation Therapists, Senior Radiation Therapists, and students
* Manages staff work schedules to ensure appropriate coverage and minimal overtime
* Works with Senior Director of Radiation Therapy, and independently as needed, to conduct regular Team Lead and Staff meetings for the dissemination of information, role development, and to respond to staff questions and concerns at least monthly.
* Works with individual staff to identify and achieve their developmental goals (technical experience, further education, etc.)
* Works with Team Leads to develop and maintain area specific competencies, while monitoring timely completion of competencies
* Provides orientation to new staff and completes onboarding activities as requested by Senior Director of Radiation Therapy
* Works with Team Leads to ensure the ongoing appraisal of staff performance, including developing improvement and development plans, completing and presenting annual performance evaluations.
* Works with Team Leads to ensure a collegial, supportive, and patient-focused clinical area
* Processes HR transactions in Peoplesoft Manager Self Serve for Team Leads and staff, including merit adjustments, terminations, sign-on bonuses, and other salary adjustments.
* Processes weekly time in Kronos for Team Leads and staff.
* Working with Senior Director of Radiation Therapy and HR Generalist to provide corrective action plans as necessary.
* Participates in recruiting activities as requested by Senior Director of Radiation Therapy
Quality Assurance and Process Improvement:
* Through training and communication, ensures compliance with all treatment protocols
* Ensures accuracy of procedure guidelines and access to same for all technical staff
* Provides oversight of all treatment procedures, ensuring accurate and safe delivery
* Monitors the clinical areas for potential safety hazards and for safety violations
* Provides prompt feedback when an area is in violation and ensures the situation is corrected - also assures proper reporting is executed
* Maintains equipment through constant monitoring and reports problems to engineering or physics staff
* Proactively identifies areas for quality improvement and works with Senior Director of Radiation Therapy to improve processes
* Supervises scheduling of patients to ensure efficient use of resources and patient satisfaction
* Attends chart rounds to represent RTT group and communicates feedback to RTT team
* Generates requisitions using Peoplesoft eBuy to procure supplies and equipment
* Attends the departmental QA Committee, Clinical Collaborative Groups and other committees as requested
* Assists in facility design and new program development as requested by Senior Director of Radiation Therapy
* Conducts tours of the treatment areas as needed
* Provides temporary coverage for the Senior Director of Radiation Therapy and other colleagues at meetings, during vacations or other time off as needed. Serves a point person for urgent Radiation Therapy issues and executes leadership skills as needed
* Serves as a resource for questions pertaining to billing procedures
* Attends main campus and satellite Operations Leadership meeting, Quality Assurance meeting, and Clinical Collaborative meetings, providing updates to team as related to satellite operations
* Works collaboratively with leadership team on multidisciplinary projects
* Facilitates and leads multidisciplinary discussions to promote process improvement and operational efficiencies
* Oversees RTT staff scheduling to maximize resources across satellite locations
* Serves as point person for facilities related issues working with main campus facilities manager as needed
SKILLS/ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: Must be realistic, objective, measurable and related to essential functions of this job.
* Extensive knowledge of modern radiation therapy systems and sub-systems
* Extensive knowledge of simulation, imaging and treatment procedures
* Excellent understanding of the non-technical activities in effect in a modern radiation oncology department, i.e. treatment planning, quality assurance, billing, nursing.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization
* Computer skills, including Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, MOSAIQ, Peoplesoft, EBuy, Kronos
* Ability to work independently or as a member of a team to achieve a variety of objectives
* Proven organizational skills
* Positive attitude, reliability, and energy, with focus on accomplishment of department goals and hospital mission
* Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
* Proven ability to adapt to an evolving and dynamic work environment; proven ability to exercise various management techniques to respond most effectively to individual staff members, medical staff and situations; proven ability to problem solve technical, interpersonal, and organizational challenges
* Physical reach to work with equipment as high as 5-6 feet above the floor
* Physical strength to assist or lift impaired patients from a wheel chair or stretcher
* Physical strength to lift accessories weighing up to 40 pounds
* Capable of comfortably lifting and inserting patient accessories into the treatment units at all possible treatment angles during patient treatments.
The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills of personnel so classified.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, and/or REGISTRATIONS (if applicable): Specify minimum credentials and clearly indicate if preferred or required
Current Massachusetts Radiologic Technologist-Radiation Therapy License required
ARRT Certification or equivalent certification accepted by the State of Massachusetts with active registration and CE compliance required
EDUCATION: Specify minimum education and clearly indicate if preferred or required
Must be a graduate of an ARRT recognized program in radiation therapy technology, BS required if graduated after 2000. Associate degrees will be accepted for candidates that completed their education prior to 2000.
EXPERIENCE: Specify minimum creditable years of experience and clearly indicate if preferred or required
Minimum 6 years experience as a radiation therapist preferably with a minimum of 1 year serving as lead therapist, manager or supervisor in a major cancer center, is required.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): List the number of FTEs supervised.
10-15 Radiation Therapists including Team Leaders, Staff, Senior, and Student Radiation Therapists
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable): Indicate financial "scope" information, i.e.: size of budget, volume, revenue, etc.; Indicate total physician/non-physician FTE scope
* Maximize staff scheduling and limit overtime and temporary staffing expenditures to lowest possible level
* Utilize available resources for maximum value
* Ensure proper maintenance of supplies and expensive equipment
* Ensure complete and accurate billing
WORKING CONDITIONS: Describe the conditions in which the work is performed.
Busy clinical environment. Duties are executed primarily at Emerson Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital and on the MGH Main Campus in Boston. Frequent travel between the three locations is required. Duties may also be performed at other network facilities as requested by the Senior Director of Radiation Therapy, Administrative or Medical Staff leadership.