Thermo Fisher Scientific is a biotechnology product development company located in Waltham, MA. The company's premier brands are Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services. Generating more than $24 billion in annual revenue, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a significant player in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, with a range of customer touch points that is hard to match. The company offers various career opportunities at 600+ sites across the Americas, APAC and EMEA regions in an inclusive, global culture that values diverse talent. The core activity being scientific R&D, there are also opportunities in Operations, Quality & Regulatory, IT, Sales and more. As an employee, you can count on ample opportunities to grow your career as well as a comprehensive total rewards package which includes a competitive base pay, medical and dental plans, wellness programs, company-paid insurance, savings and spending accounts, competitive 401(k) and more.
Job ID :
US - California - Carlsbad :
Job DescriptionPosition Summary:
Work in a team based environment and formulate molecular biology reagents for use in research and commercial scientific products for the life sciences industry. The formulations range in scale from 1 mL to 1,500 L, they are manufactured using controlled protocols, and data is recorded on batch records following good documentation practices.Key Objectives of the role:
- Executes on formulation of reagents and solutions in a fast-paced manufacturing environment following a controlled documents and procedures.
- Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data within operating parameters. Actively participate in troubleshooting for specific processes or activities as assigned.
- Maintain equipment, product inventories and related records as assigned. Note variances on manufacturing documents; audit and evaluate process documents and propose revisions.
- Identify manufacturing procedures intended to optimize existing processes and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Advise the team lead/manager of factors that may affect quality of the product, initiate problem reports for deviations and non-conforming materials, and suggest options and ideas for corrective actions and preventive actions (CAPA).
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or other related discipline and 0-2 years of experience in a manufacturing or research laboratory.
- Proficiency in the use of scientific laboratory techniques, equipment and materials:
- Aseptic techniques
- Scales and balances
- pH/Conductivity meters
- Mixers and stir plates
- Spectrophotometer operation (Nanodrop)
- Large scale solution formulation in fixed and mobile tanks with built in scales
- Walk in fume hood
- Snorkel dust collectors
- Good documentation practices
- Safety awareness and identification of potential safety issues.
- Bench work in a lab environment and manufacturing facility with specialized equipment.
- Ability to carry out scientific procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Lifting up to 25 lbs will be required on a frequent basis.
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed.
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties.
- May intermittently sit at desk/lab bench for a long period of time to perform experiments, write, and use a keyboard to communicate through written means.
- Ability to work independently/in a group setting with direct supervision.
- Works on assignments that are moderately complex in nature where judgment is required in resolving problems and making routine recommendations.
- Experience in ISO 90001, ISO 13485 and/or GMP manufacturing environment.
- Displays positive attitude toward job and others.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Good knowledge of current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) and experience with cGMP documentation and Microsoft application is preferred.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.