Primarily responsible for analyzing environmental samples for organic contaminants utilizing Gas Chromotography and Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS). Uses appropriate methods to perform environmental analysis, effectively participates in proficiency testing and maintains quality records as required. Must use judgment to evaluate and adapt laboratory requirements/guidelines to customer specifications and testing needs. Because of the critical nature of the support provided, extended working hours (including weekends and holidays) are often mandatory.
The Scientist II operates with a degree of independence under established policies and procedures. Normally receives guidance from Laboratory Lead, Scientist IV and/or Scientist III to assure coordination of efforts with other laboratory personnel. May occasionally interact with customers and their representatives according to customers needs/requirements.
Primary/Major Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Conduct GC/MS using EPA methods 524.2, 624 and SW-846 method 8260b on primarily environmental samples.
- Evaluation, method development and implementation of new methods according to customer requirements/requests.
- Perform routine diagnosis, troubleshooting, light repairs and maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
- Adheres to all guidelines established in EPA methods and laboratory standard operating procedures including active participation in quality control set forth in all.
- Actively participates in contractor quality and safety program, conducts peers reviews.
- Participates in providing innovative approaches to technical problems, contributes to the overall increase in lab efficiency through adaptive thought and information exchanges.
- Guides and trains assigned personnel as required and advises supervisory personnel of their progress.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- And all other duties as assigned.
- This position requires a Master of Science with no experience or a Bachelor of Science degree with three years of directly related experience working in an analytical laboratory. Time in grade relevant to the A2R progression cycle may also apply.
- Professional knowledge of chemical principles, theories, practices, and established methodology sufficient to perform chemical analyses on a wide variety of samples.
- Skilled in operating and calibrating sophisticated analytical instrumentation to independently analyze samples.
- Must be competent in developing, modifying and writing methods and procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Location Stennis Space Center, Mississippi, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular