Middle East Broadcasting Networks is a news organization in North Africa and the Middle East that delivers its content in the Arabic Language. The organization comprises two major television networks - Alhurra-Iraq and Alhurra; Maghreb Voices.com, Sawa radio, Irfaasawtak.com among other social media platforms. Middle East Broadcasting Networks enjoy an audience of over 27.5 million people in a week across the regions. The organization’s mission is to further opinions, ideas, and available perspectives in media across the Middle East and North Africa. The Company’s vision is to provide accurate, objective, and relevant information and news to accurately American policies, Americans, and America. Middle East Broadcasting Networks promotes values of freedom and democracy. When working with the organization, the compensation is always good, and importantly the organization offers a work-life balance. The organization's Employee benefits include vacation policy, retirement benefit, and insurance benefits.The job opportunities are Broadcast Technician, Broadcast Engineer, IT Specialist – TV Broadcasting and many more.
The Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) is seeking an Senior Assignment Editor for our Raise Your Voice Team in our Headquarters office in Springfield, VA. MBN is a non-profit grantee of the federal government that directly communicates with the people of the Middle East and North Africa through television, radio, and digital media. MBN's mission is to provide objective, accurate, and relevant news and information to the people of the Middle East about the region, the world, and the United States in support of U.S. public diplomacy.
The Senior Assignment Editor is a key figure during the morning and afternoon meetings during which stories are selected. The Senior Assignment Editor is responsible for managing assignments, dealing with logistics, monitoring wires, our competitors and Social Media. The Senior Assignment Editor is responsible for overseeing newsgathering and dissemination of news assignments to multimedia reporters in the United States and overseas. Effectively leads, mentors and serves as a resource to junior members of the staff. Demonstrates strong news judgment; ensure journalistic standards of fairness, accuracy and relevancy. The Senior Assignment Editor is a creative thinker and problem solver who inspires a team of digital content creators. The Senior Assignment Editor is an extraordinary partner, collaborator and has an excellent knowledge of Iraq.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Senor Assignment Editor include, but are not limited to:
* Organizing and coordinating daily news coverage including assigning news personnel and equipment resources to specific stories.
* Guiding the development of stories from start to finish.
* Interacting with direct reports and peers to share information and improve cross-departmental processes.
* Managing day of assignments and assisting with planning and preparing for longer term projects.
* Achieving established editorial goals and deadlines and mentoring others to do the same.
* Upholding standards of accuracy, integrity and transparency with audiences when mistakes are made.
* Prioritizing and communicating assignments to correspondents.
* Managing/coordinating the time and logistics to make sure selected stories are covered efficiently with the available staff demonstrating an ability to prioritize and make decisions consistent with the mission of the organization.
* Following up on new reports.
* Developing ideas for features and special reports.
* Planning and coordinating special events.
* Reading and editing news copy to ensure that slanderous, libelous, and materials are avoided or deleted.
* Helping reporters find interviews.
* Monitoring Multimedia reporters reports for balance, clarity and objectivity.
* Maintaining knowledge of current International and US events.
* Conducting on-line research for difficult story assignments.
* Researching and developing daily story ideas and special news coverage.
* Assisting editorial staff in developing all news coverage plans.
* Maintaining regular contact with news sources.
* Supervising performance and development of Assignment Editors.
* Conducting annual performance planning (goal setting) for each department member.
* Providing appropriate and timely on-going performance feedback to department members to continually improve the quality of performance.
* In consultation with Human Resources, prepare annual Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for department members.
Candidates are required to have:
* Bachelor's degree in journalism (or related field) or 5+ years of journalism experience.
* Ability to communicate and translate from English to classic Arabic.
* Must demonstrate strong news judgment and organizational skills.
* Must have keen sense of logistics and ability to work well with others including producers, reporters, photographers, other personnel and the public.
* Must have good creative and editorial judgment. Mastery of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
* Ability to meet tight deadlines and under stress with accuracy and balance.
* Strong people management skills.
* Strong attention to detail.
* Ability to quickly develop sources, contacts.
* Strong digital skills.
* Exercise self-discipline and time-management skills.
* Must be able to accommodate flexible work schedule to support 24/7 news environment, which could include overnight coverage.
MBN is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Associated topics: article, compositor, content, draft, editor, editorial, newsperson, proofread, screenwriter, text