Sallie Mae is a company created with great purpose. We provide loans. But what separates us from any other financial institution is that we have a why. We have a purpose. We make the dream of higher education a reality. We do it by being a resource for families who want to save, plan, and pay for college. Our vision, to be a trusted financial partner, inspires us to explore new ways to serve our customers every day. No matter what position you hold at Sallie Mae, you'll have a role in moving us toward that vision.
Over the last 40 years, Sallie Mae has helped more than 34 million Americans pay for college. The same passion we have for helping customers is applied to helping our employees achieve professional and personal growth. With a wide range of opportunities available, we invite you to join our growing team and help students make their dreams of higher education a reality.
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they want—whether that means helping them make college happen, or something more. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills—you’re in the right place.
What You’ll Contribute:
The candidate will be part of a 24x7 IT operational support team responsible for supporting Non-Production and Production DB environments inclusive of SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL and AWS RDS.
The Senior DBA, working with a manager and support team, will share responsibility for all aspects of database administration including configuration, patching, tuning, upgrade roadmaps, architecture, security, performance, disaster recovery, troubleshooting and change management.
This role will take an active part in building relationships with Dev Ops and Cyber Security teams as well as other key Infrastructure and Operations personnel to help form a holistic approach to database support.
What You'll Do:
- Database Administration
- Ensure database environments are highly available and fully operational
- Ensure databases adhere to strict IT governance controls
- Develop automated monitoring controls to communicate database issues to team members
- Monitor and troubleshoot database performance
- Monitor backups and restore databases when necessary
- Work closely with IT teams to improve coding efficiencies and perform change management functions.
- Create and patch databases and instances
- Design database architecture solutions
- Ad hoc
- Learn new database technology platforms and their features
- Participate in periodic Disaster Recovery testing
- Participate in App Dev projects
- Mentor Junior DBAs and host knowledge sharing meetings with DBA team members
- Attend trainings and conferences
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience in an IT environment with exposure to SQL, Oracle and Postgres database technologies.
- Solid background in database high availability technologies such as SQL always on availability Groups and Oracle Data Guard
- Ability to communicate comfortably to a wide range of technical folks inclusive of middle and upper management
- 2+ years of Project Management experience
- SQL and Oracle databases
- AWS RDS
- AWS native technologies
- ITIL processes
- Working knowledge of tiered application architecture with use of Web, Middleware and database
- Operational support experience
What You'll Get at Sallie Mae:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Healthcare Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision plans)
- Financial Well-being: 401(k) company match, employee stock purchase plan, and basic life insurance and short-term disability are provided to employees at no cost
- Work/Life Balance: Paid time off, time off to volunteer, and tuition reimbursement. In addition, after 6 months of employment, primary caregivers receive 12 weeks of 100% fully paid time off and secondary caregivers are eligible for 4 weeks of 100% fully paid time off, for birth or adoption
- Wellness: Fitness centers/gym subsidies, free Fitbits with step challenges, and wellness education
Sallie Mae is proud to be an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here . EEO is the Law Supplement . Click here to view the U.S. Pay Transparency Policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please call (855) 756-2007 and choose option 4. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
© 2018 Sallie Mae Bank. All rights reserved. Sallie Mae, the Sallie Mae logo, and other Sallie Mae names and logos are service marks or registered service marks of Sallie Mae Bank or its subsidiaries. Upromise, the Upromise logo, and other Upromise names and logos are service marks or registered service marks of Upromise, Inc. All other names and logos used are the trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Sallie Mae Bank and Upromise, Inc., are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.