Design and manage the development of new products and components from idea conception through production. Lead and manage the Design and Release (D&R) Engineering efforts for electrical and electronic systems and components of globally produced and distributed products. Responsibilities will cover all aspects of D&R from initial concepts, supplier selection, testing, and production incorporation. The qualified candidate will be tasked to understand, determine and optimize trade-offs between performance, package, efficiency and cost. Additionally, the candidate will regularly be involved in Root Cause Analysis and Problem resolution for all outstanding issues with existing products in production, under warranty as well as those currently in the design process.
- Performs electronic product and component design and development including conceptual modeling, engineering calculations and verification testing.
- Evaluates electro-mechanical systems and products through simulation and experimentation.
- Determines project specifications by studying customer requirements and performance standards and completes technical studies and cost estimates.
- Design of experiment (DOE) planning, execution, presentation and documentation
- Analyzes and interprets test data.
- Develops DFMEA s, and participates in the development of PFMEA s and quality control plans to ensure product quality requirements are met.
- Recommends, develops and sets up test equipment to conduct functional, operational, environmental, and life tests required to evaluate performance and reliability of electrical components, systems, or products.
- Performs Tolerance and sensitivity analysis of components.
- Partners with outside supply base in the design and development of electric and electronic components.
- Conducts supplier audits both potential suppliers and routine maintenance audits of our current suppliers.
- Participates in the integration of wireless communications between ventilation products and other devices.
- Drives and completes cross functional design reviews (electrical, specifications, and/or agency compliance, etc.).
- Schedules and develops agendas for, facilitates, and documents technical meetings and formal presentations to peers and/or the Executive Leadership Team.
- Researches and understands the applicable industry and government standards (CE, UL, CSA, etc.).
- Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Researches and recommends new laboratory test procedures and equipment.
- Maintains working knowledge of state-of-the-art tools, software, and equipment by on-line research or other training.
- Evaluates engineering approaches and risks to produce and iterate development plans.
- Contributes to design standards and support design reuse.
- Develops initial resource loaded design project plans and manages the plan execution utilizing standardized project management tools.
- Acts as customer interface with high profile OEM customers.
- Performs day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork.
- Bachelor s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field is required. Advanced technical degree highly desired.
- 7+ years of experience in a product development environment, with demonstration of successful product launches
- Motivated self-starter with the goal of delivering high quality work on time. Work both independently and with a team
- Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks while keeping up with aggressive timelines
- Strong leader with the ability to work with and influence others effectively
- Maintain flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments, coping with rapidly changing information
- Superior problem solving skills - ability to trouble-shoot system and component issues. (Fishbone diagram, 8-D, etc)
- High degree of demonstrated interpersonal skills, combined with good verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information
- Experience in electronic PCBA integration within end products
- Experience in electronic design with embedded firmware (Schematics, selection of components, firmware, etc.)
- Experience with induction and BLDC motors, LED s, drivers, IOT devices, and appliance controls
- Experience with motor control applications and control algorithms is a plus
- Knowledge of CAD design tools (PCB and Gerber)
- General knowledge in simultaneous (concurrent) Engineering approach and New Product Introductions (NPI)
- Experience with project management and project management tools
- Experience with using laboratory equipment, including: oscilloscopes, meters, programmable logic controllers, power supplies, power analyzers, dynamometers, data acquisition, and thermal imaging cameras
- Knowledge of international standards and test methodologies for immunity and emission - electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Knowledge in language C programming
- Knowledge of Lab View software
- Knowledge and experience working with Asian suppliers preferred
- Familiarity with the UL/CSA certification process
- Electronic reliability testing and analysis a plus
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to meet vendors to review specifications, perform testing and evaluation of products during all phases of product development process.
Associated topics: design, develop, electric, electrical, electrical engineer, electronic, engineer, plc, power, systems