The University of Kansas Health System in Kansas City is a world-class academic medical center and destination for complex care and diagnosis. We offer more options for patients with serious conditions because of our expertise and leadership in medical research and education.
The Social Work Case Manager, under the direction of the Social Work Manager and Nurse Manager in Case Management, has responsibility to provide care/service safely and efficiently for a full range of services to patients of all ages and their families. Primary role is to collaborate, communicate and facilitate coordination of services post-hospitalization as established by the healthcare team and executed by the case manager. Responsible for the psychosocial assessment of patients, for post hospital discharge needs including home care, nursing home placement, durable medical equipment, financial assistance, counseling, and other community resources. Ensure appropriate decision makers are informed of and involved in treatment planning.
The Social Work Case Manager identifies, monitors, and reports opportunities for quality and performance improvement to the appropriate department. The Social Work Case Manager takes an active role in performance improvement activities as it relates to their area of assignment. Responsibilities
- Takes personal responsibility for completing assigned activities and seeks new opportunities to provide high-quality work/service; looks for ways to improve individual performance
- Is clear about daily tasks and shows a flexible, proactive approach to accomplishing responsibilities in the face of changing situations (e.g. patient emergencies)
- Shows respect in every interaction and builds trust; demonstrates adherence to code of conduct
- Shows willingness to learn new technologies, tools or systems, and is eager to gain new skills
- Understands personal and practical needs of all customers and takes appropriate action to meet expectations for quality care and/or service
- Has self awareness of own behaviors; makes changes in behavior to improve the service experience; is aware of how personal actions affect the customer experience; adjusts personal behaviors as needed to meet or exceed customer expectations
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively within and across work units to deliver the best customer experience
- Plans daily routine to properly organize tasks and demonstrates the flexibility to meet immediate customer needs effectively and efficiently
- Proactively asks open-ended questions to clarify and resolve underlying issues; escalates issues promptly and responsibly as necessary
- Allocates time appropriately to effectively handle multiple priorities and varying workload
- Demonstrates stewardship through the identification and appropriate use of available resources (time, equipment and supplies)
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required. Qualifications
- Certificate, License or Registration ~ LMSW or LSCSW
- Certificate, License or Registration ~ State of Kansas Social Work license
- Education: Master's Degree in Social Work
- Basic typing and word processing ability
- Experience ~ Experience in a health care setting preferred