Aurora Flight Sciences is an aeronautics research firm. It manufactures unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. The company is a subsidiary of Boeing, which mainly specializes in designing and constructing special-purpose aerial vehicles. Aurora Flight Sciences features piloted aircraft, unmanned aircraft systems, and aerostructure products to aircraft companies. The firm plans and develops aerospace vehicles for military and commercial applications. John S. Langford III founded Aurora Flight Sciences in 1989, and its headquarter is located in Manassas, Virginia, United States. The firm currently employs more than 800 employees and operates in more than 5 locations; Cambridge, Massachusetts, Bridgeport, West Virginia, and Mississippi. Aurora Flight Sciences provides paid vacations, healthcare benefits, and other perks to its employees.
Aurora is seeking a curious and inventive individual to develop quality software for cutting edge unmanned aerial systems. A qualified candidate will have 10+ years of experience architecting, designing and developing real-time C++ projects. Expertise should include deep understanding of C++ and Object-Oriented architecture and design, as well as strong knowledge of one or more scripting languages (for prototyping). Familiarity with Continuous Integration, Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow, configuration management, software design methodologies, and unit testing would be helpful, but is not required.
Job responsibilities include leading architecture and design of flight software, developing build automation scripts, and generally helping roboticists and algorithms specialists develop quality software. Expect to participate in two or three concurrent projects at a time, acting as a lead software engineer on some and a consultant on others. You will work on a variety of advanced autonomy projects, from small UAVs to robots to large UAVs, from embedded boards and comms to system supervisors, from small fast prototype development projects lasting a few weeks to large and disciplined high-reliability fight-quality development projects lasting a year.
Collaborate with roboticists and controls specialists to architect, design and implement software skeletons in C++ for x86 and ARM targets. Provide expert C++ and OO consulting for autonomy projects. Work side-by-side with world class researchers to create cool and innovative autonomy-related products and tools. Design for both small fast prototype projects and highly disciplined programs.
* MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Aero/Astro or related field
* 10+ years of experience with C/C++ and Object-Oriented programming
* Experience architecting and designing software, documenting the design, and writing test descriptions to link design to requirements
* Strong knowledge of a prototyping language (like Python, etc.)
* Experience developing applications for embedded ARM devices
* Experience with a unit test framework and unit test design patterns
* Experience with and understanding of a configuration management system, like SVN or GIT
* Experience with the entire software lifecycle, from design through release
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Must be a US Person (citizen or permanent resident)
* Experience with continuous integration, including build, test, and analysis automation
* Experience with modern software development methodology, like Agile or similar
* Experience with Matlab, Simulink, and Stateflow
* Experience with DO-178C and IBM Doors
Occasionally required to work non-business hours to support experiments and travel to customer sites.
Aurora Flight Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you do not remember your password click here.
Associated topics: application architect, application developer, architect, backend, c/c++, design pattern, matlab, php, programming, project architect