BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, security and aerospace company headquartered in Arlington, VA, with locations across the country. The company delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. The company's operations are divided into three sectors which are Electronic Systems (aircraft flight and engine controls, electronic warfare and night vision systems, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors, mobile networked communications equipment, and environmentally friendly vehicle propulsion systems); Intelligence & Security (IT, cybersecurity, intelligence analysis, systems integration and operations and maintenance) and Platforms & Services (armored combat vehicles, tactical wheeled vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, artillery systems, and munitions). Employees are offered a flexible work environment, on-the-job training and leadership programs, extensive benefits, and a culture of trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in defense technologies and national security services.
BAE Systems is seeking a senior level database administrator to manage Microsoft SQL Server 2008-2017 databases. The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 10 years of experience with managing and supporting Microsoft SQL Server environments and a total of 12+ years in IT. The candidate should be a self-starter, have excellent communication skills, work seamlessly in a team environment as well as provide leadership and technical training to less proficient employees. The candidate will be responsible for supporting and maintaining high-availability and high performance environments as well as implementing and managing the databases in a cost efficient manner.Typical Education & Experience
.Required Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education
- Bachelors Degree with 12+ years overall IT database experience, 10 years experience with SQL Server.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and customer relationship skills
- Proven leadership skills previous management or leadership duties
- Ability to work individually with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Autonomous DBA with Can-do attitude, pro-active, takes the initiative as well as ownership of problem/project
- Support and configure security settings support users as well as maintain security standards
- Microsoft SQL Server (2008-2017) candidate should be able to install, configure and maintain a SQL Server 2008-2017 instance build
- Extensive experience with upgrading from MS 2008 to 2012-17
- Extensive Windows Powershell experience required
- Extensive experience with SQL 2012-2017 Architecture i.e. Availability Groups. Install, configure and maintain MS SQL Server 2008-2017 cluster environment including AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Active-Active failover clustering implementations
- Extensive experience with MS SQL Server hotfixes and service packs and have a very good understanding of Microsoft SQL Server and BI licensing
- Experience with installing, configuring and supporting SSRS, SSIS and Analysis Services
- Complete understanding of DR technologies utilizing log shipping and Availability Groups and can demonstrate/ensure that log shipping and AG are in sync. Experience with designing a disaster recovery solution between AG groups
- Extensive understanding of Microsoft backup methodologies, their implementation via GUI as well as scripts. Experience with setup and scheduling of backups, creating and scheduling jobs, alerts and operators using SQL Server Agent as well as successful database restores
- SQL Server 2008-2017 performance tuning experience with analyzing query plans, tuning stored procedures, troubleshooting deadlocks, blocks and long running queries, isolating and resolving I/O bottlenecks and CPU bottlenecks
- SQL Server administration activities database health check, DMV queries, index optimization, performance tuning, query optimization, maintenance plans, link servers, etc. A thorough understanding of DMV views and how to utilize them to improve performance and monitoring.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Reporting Tools (PowerPivot, PowerView, SQL Server Reporting Services, Performance Point)
- ETL tool development experience (SSIS SQL Server Integration Services)
- Experience working with MS Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse environments, in particular, PowerBI
- Multi-Dimensional and Tabular Model development including knowledge of MDX and DAX (SSAS SQL Server Analysis Services)
- Experience with the SharePoint environment in a support and maintenance capacity, Integration between SQL Server/SharePoint/MS Office
- Exposure managing Microsoft Analytics Platform System (Parallel Data Warehouse) including APS DW Loader
About BAE Systems, Inc.
- MS SQL Server Certification is highly desirable
- Experience in storage solutions preferably NetApp
- Experience in Backup / Recovery solutions preferably CommVault
- Security clearance eligibility
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression