Position Description:POSITION SUMMARY
The Student Nurse Technician, under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs advanced technical nursing procedures and services in addition to various personal care activities in the provision of patient care works. Adheres to Seton Medical Center Harker Heights’ performance expectations and performs all defined services and other related duties in accordance with the mission, vision and values of Seton Medical Center Harker Heights. JOB COMPENTENCIES
- Personal Effectiveness - Meets established timelines; follows through to ensure completion of assigned objectives, seeks feedback to improve performance, and demonstrates a positive, “can do” attitude
- Innovation and change - Looks for opportunities to improve processes and services, makes an effort to learn and develop new skills, and is resourceful and enthusiastic in responding to new challenges
- Fostering Teamwork - Is open and honest in dealing with others, demonstrates commitment to team objectives, and sees challenges facing department and helps the team to address them
- Quality Services - Delivers high quality services to internal and external customers, accepts responsibility and takes action to address quality issues, and helps operations & services respond to the needs of caregivers
- Integrity - Adheres to a standard of ethical conduct that promotes trust and open communication, earns trust by living up to commitments, and can be counted on to keep confidences
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Performs numerous personal care services to ensure patient’s safety, comfort and cleanliness
- Ensures patient safety and comfort while providing transfer, or assisting with mobility, from one location to another in accordance with established procedures
- Assist with the provision of good patient hygiene, including patient eliminations, in accordance with established procedures
- Assist with the provision of proper nutrition and accurately records meal and nourishment intake, and calorie count
- Ensure all safety precautions are observed. Call light within reach, bed alarms used as appropriate, side rails up, bed in lowest position, seat belts in place, etc
- Promptly answers all patient call lights
- Monitors patients, reports and records data and observations and facilitate quality patient care
- Monitors and records patients' vital signs, intake and output and other measurements in accordance with unit routines and as directed
- Monitors patients and reports patients' conditions at regular intervals and prior to completion of shift, and promptly reports any signs or symptoms of concern to appropriate party
- Accurately records interventions according to department and unit routine
- Reviews hospital records, nursing diagnosis list of patients' to familiarize self with patient care needs and provides RN with updates as appropriate
- Under supervisor of an RN, performs technical nursing procedures as directed to facilitate quality patient care
- Assist nursing and physician staff in providing treatments in accordance with unit routines and as directed within the parameters of this job description
- Provide tube feedings in accordance with nursing policy, correctly uses enteral feeding pump and performs tubing changes appropriately
- Aseptically inserts catheters, for in & out catherization only
- Opens sterile trays without contamination and aseptically applies dressings/compresses in accordance with physicians' orders, excludes Central Line dressing changes
- Participates in performance improved activities to enhance and maintain personal and department qualifications and standards of performance
- Completes age-specific competencies annually
- Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional manner
- Provides basic housekeeping duties as needed including, but not limited to:
- Assisting in maintaining a clean, safe and orderly environment for patients and staff
- Assisting in preparing and stripping rooms as needed.
- Experience with patient safety best practices preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information
- Demonstrated proficient communication skills.
- A. Education/Skills/Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.), may include specialized or vocational courses.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited professional nursing program or on a semester break from such a program.
- Must have completed basic fundamentals course and be classified at least as a junior in a BSN program or a sophomore in an ADN program is required
- B. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- Enrolled in a BSN (must have completed junior year) or ADN (sophomore year) program.
- BLS through American Heart Association required upon hire
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.