Since 2007, POLITICO has been committed to non-partisan journalism. We create products and deliver content of consequence; they have the power to change the course of history by making democracy better through our coverage of politics, policy, and power. As long as those intersect, there will be a need for POLITICO and our stories.
POLITICO is looking for a UI Developer who will oversee the front end development of code for various web and mobile applications. You must possess the ability to begin projects with no code to start, as well as maintain or upgrade old projects, all while keeping a keen eye for code quality and respect for team style. You will have a passion for creating high-quality user experiences in a close-knit team of developers and designers.
What You'll Do:
* Maintain and upgrade existing sites across the company portfolio with new features, improvements and fixes
* Act as an advisor of HTML/CSS/JS technology to non- technical staff
* Browser and platform test to assure code delivers as promised and degrades gracefully when needed
* Constantly seek opportunities to learn from and improve the efficiency and knowledge of the team
* Able to take constructive criticism well and adapt designs/code to meet business goals and team & workplace standards
* Support Focus' executive director on strategic Focus marketing efforts through case study development, creation of key marketing and sales materials on an on-going basis, including product information and coordination with advertising sales team, and creation and management of Focus' marketing website.
* Be a constant advocate for an excellent user experience
How Your Success Will Be Measured:
* Accuracy of final deliverables
* Discovered defects in deliverables
* Ability to work proactively as part of a team
* Set and meet time estimates on work
* Identify, prioritize and follow through on product issues that arise from different departments or customers
What You'll Need:
* Portfolio or sample code in a public repository (CodePen, GitHub, etc.)
* 2+ years of professional experience in front-end development
* Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS
* Experience with responsive web design
* Experience with version control (preferably Git)
* Experience with pre-processors (i.e., Sass, Stylus, etc.)
* Takes the time to write semantic, flexible, maintainable markup and has general awareness of the impact their code has beyond simply \"making it work\"
* Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
* Ability to work in a team environment and learn best practices from team members
* Ability to thrive in a fast paced and performance oriented environment
Would Be Helpful to Have:
* Experience using front-end frameworks (i.e., Vue.js, React.js, etc)
* Experience with command line (i.e., Bash, ZSH)
* Working knowledge of front-end build tools (i.e.: Grunt, Gulp, Webpack)
* Working knowledge of graphic software (i.e., Sketch, Photoshop, Indesign, etc.)
* Working knowledge of NPM package management and NPM scripts
* Working knowledge of front-end web performance
* Experience in working with style guides, design systems, pattern libraries, etc.
* Stays abreast of new trends and technologies and incorporates them into their work and makes suggestions for improving the code
* Experience working in a Java environment (i.e., JSP)
* Experience with prototyping tools (i.e., InVision, Framer, etc.)
* Basic understanding of accessibility guidelines
* Bring fresh design ideas to the table
Come help us build the story. We're united by our shared passion and commitment to non-partisan journalism. We believe in each other's ambitions and come together to create something meaningful.
We value our people. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, commuter benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Let's keep in touch. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @politicocareers and #meetPOLITICO.
Associated topics: gui, interactive producer, interface, ui, ui designer, ui ux designer, user experience, ux, ux designer, ux ui designer