In this role you will be responsible for supporting GE Capital Aviation Services with respect to the structuring, drafting & negotiation of aircraft acquisitions & sales, sale-leasebacks & lease transactions & related matters. Provides advice & counsel to Commercial team. Develops/maintains commercial policies & procedures and monitors to ensure compliance. Provides advice to on commercial contracts, legal issues & acceptable business compromises.
• The individual will be an integral part of Legal staff and will be responsible for delivering premier legal services to the business, both directly and through management and supervision of outside counsel • Execute on the legal strategy and direction for assigned area, including the drafting and negotiation of aircraft lease agreements, aircraft purchase and sale agreements and related transaction documents • Advise Commercial teams on a wide variety of legal issues related to deal structuring and aviation transactions, including aircraft acquisitions and sales, sale-leaseback transactions and operating lease transactions, including lease-in/lease-out transactions • Work with assigned Commercial teams to evaluate legal risks and develop implementing procedures to mitigate such risks • Will provide general leasing transactional support to deal teams operating in the United States and corporate housekeeping services • Responsible for portfolio management matters including reviewing and negotiating consents and waivers, delivery/redelivery issues, drafting/negotiation/closing of lease amendments, extensions, side letter agreements, engine swaps, aircraft registrations/de-registrations, aircraft insurance matters, subleasing requests, defaults, work-outs, repossessions, Cape Town Convention related matters, etc. • Support advising the Business Segment on related regulatory issues and compliance matters • Prepare updates on legal developments and requirements to various audiences and provide ongoing advice on applicable laws and regulations governing the Commercial activities of assigned business • Maintain Commercial policies and procedures and monitor to ensure compliance • Maintain a good understanding of the industry and Commercial awareness to understand the positioning of the assigned business relative to competitors • Must also maintain knowledge of the challenges and changes in the sector and how they relate to the company and legal strategy
- Bachelor’s Degree and JD;
- Qualified to practice in a state in the US (NY qualification preferred);
- Minimum 3 years’ post-qualification experience in meaningful Commercial Transaction area(s), based on experience at a large law firm, financial firm, regulatory/governmental agency or corporate legal department;
- Experience from Aviation Leasing Industry or Law Firm taking care of aviation leasing is helpful;
- Experience negotiating complex legal terms with external clients with shown ability to find creative solutions in difficult/ complex business structures;
- Experience with and understanding of the aviation industry and technical aspects of aircraft;
- Must be willing to travel up to 30%.
- Established ability to influence actions without direct leadership responsibility for teams or processes with a validated ability to establish relationships within a matrixed environment (both cross-functionally and cross-business);
- Ability to work independently and ambitious;
- Excellent interpersonal skills – demonstrated success in working effectively with colleagues and outside parties;
- Confirmed leadership and business partnering skills;
- Ability to function mostly independently and effectively as a member of the legal organization and commercial deal teams;
- Experience leading successful negotiations.
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS) is a world-leading aviation lessor and financier. For over five decades, we have solved our customers’ challenges and helped their businesses to thrive. Whether your need is for narrow- or wide body aircraft, regional jets, turboprops, freighters, engines, helicopters, financing or materials, our name has become synonymous with trusted relationships, domain expertise and a track record of execution.
GECAS offers a broad array of financing products and services on these assets including operating leases, purchase/leasebacks, asset sales and servicing, and airframe parts management. GECAS owns, services or has on order more than 1,700 aircraft (~1,350 fixed wing/ ~350 rotary wing) and serves ~250 customers in over 75 countries from a network of 20 offices around the world.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Job number: 3373750
Date posted : 2019-10-30
Employment type: Experienced